Sunday, August 18, 2013

We Moved!!



We moved a little over a two weeks ago, 12 miles from our previous house.  It really has been an ordeal.  After returning from a fun filled weekend at Sew South in March, the process of purchasing this house began.  We put our first offer in on April 1st and that should have been a clue as to what a joke this whole process would be.
Buying a bank owned home takes patience.  Our wonderful real estate agent, Jean, warned us it wasn’t going be easy.  We have admired this home since it was built in 2005 as it’s down the street from two different sets of friends and their families.  When it finally became available to look at after the second owner let it go back to the bank, we were disgusted with what shape it was in.   They took everything that could be taken out of the house and left what was broken.  Let’s just say they allowed having all of their animals use the house as a place to go to the bathroom.  That should give you all an idea what the house smelled and looked like.  We went back and forth with the bank on our offers so many times and they finally caved in on May 14th and took our offer. We really felt that they realized they'd never get another offer with what shape this house was in.   My husband and I knew what it looked like while the first owners lived in it and we knew we could eventually get back to that shape.  It would just take some time and money.  Well, I have to say it doesn’t smell or look like it did back on July 3rd when we took ownership.  It did take a month of labor, sweat and lots of different companies coming in to repair our new home so that it was livable.  We still have lots to do but we can live in it and work on projects one room at a time.


The first thing we did was have the pool opened up by our local swimming pool company.  My good friend Cathy (one of my new neighbors and also a friend for over 12 years) and I just sat and watched all day as they opened the pool, drained it, and filled it back up.  It wasn’t a pretty sight and it smelled like sewage as it had not been opened up in over 3 years. 















Wish I could go swimming but as I mentioned in my last post about my ankle fracture, I won't be swimming in this pool until next year.  Thank you for all the well wishes on the last post and on IG.

Have a great Sunday!


Cindy

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on geting the home ready to live in! A lot of work, but I'm sure it is lovely. The pool looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me the state that some people will let things get to, and how unrealistic real estate agents are after the fact! Glad you've got it all cleaned up now though, sorry you won't be using the pool this year :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will have many years of good times in your new home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so is there a spare room for when I come to stay?! Looks great, you must be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it should be a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! Your home is gorgeous, and that pool looks like the perfect lounge spot! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazing! Too bad you can't enjoy it :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new home is gorgeous! The American dream home. Did you get most of the cleaning done before your ankle injury? I was thinking as I read that you won't be doing much cleaning at the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I just love hearing from you!